Expectations for Sponsors
We are excited and grateful that God has called you to sponsor a child living at Grace Village! God’s work will be done through your contribution to Healing Haiti. The children will be blessed through your prayers, support, and encouragement. They are essential to the mission of empowering the people of Haiti, and that empowerment begins with meeting the children's basic needs and providing for their education and spiritual development. None of these objectives could be met without partners like you.
We hold the well-being of the children as the highest priority. In order to protect the physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of the children, as well as the integrity of the sponsorship program, we have established the following expectations of each sponsor. Failure to meet these expectations will result in termination from the sponsorship program.
Length of Sponsorship
- Healing Haiti desires sponsors who are willing to commit to a child on a long-term basis.
- Length of sponsorship primarily depends on the needs of the child.
- Sponsors may discontinue their sponsorship at any time by notifying the sponsorship lead advocate at email@example.com.
- Some of the children at Grace Village have living parents. Our goal is to have them reunited with their family once a sustainable and healthy environment has been established by the family. In the event of this happening, you can continue to sponsor the child's education through our reunification program, transfer your sponsorship to another child or cancel your sponsorship.
Letters to Your Sponsored Child at Grace Village
- Letters can either be hand-written or emailed to us at the following address: PO Box 377, Hugo, MN 55038, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters CANNOT be sent directly to the children or sent with a team member going on a mission trip.
- Letters that do not comply with the letter-writing guidelines will not be delivered to protect the spirit of the child.
- Greeting cards may be sent for Easter or Christmas, but not for any other American holidays.
- Letters can be written in either English or Creole, and will be translated to the child.
- Please be aware that some of the children are still learning English, so if you receive a letter in Creole, you can go to Google Translate and have it translated from Haitian Creole to English.
- The children enjoy receiving pictures from you! Please be considerate of the cultural differences when selecting your photos. Pictures that include excessive material possessions or experiences may not be appropriate. The children love getting scenery pictures, seasonal pictures, and photos of you and your family.
- Gifts may not be included with the letters at any time.
- All other forms of communication are prohibited, including any form of social media such as instant messaging, telephone, text, email, Facetime, Skype, Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other online application
- Healing Haiti encourages sponsors to develop a relationship with the child they sponsor through written communication.
- These expectations are in effect at all times! Healing Haiti will continuously review these guidelines to ensure that the well-being of the children are maintained.
Sponsors who visit Grace Village are expected to follow the guidelines while on a trip as well. Letters may not be personally delivered. Additionally, the guidelines for interacting at Grace Village should be respected with sponsored children as well. Meeting the child in person is encouraged and acceptable but appropriate interaction with the children must occur and may not interfere with the activities planned for the day.
"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord."
— Psalm 127:3